Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Getting ready



A dream come true is in process. When David and I met, we were pursuing our pre-medicine undergraduate degrees. My plan was to go to Naturopathic school and David's was to go to Medical school. We both wanted to eventually be able to provide health care in resource poor settings. "This guy might live in an African hut with me," was my first thought.

Fast forward sixteen years later: 4 adopted children, a Naturopathic Doctorate, midwifery training, Medical Doctorate, and Surgery residency completed (almost!). Now we are ready to go to Africa!

We have been selected by World Medical Mission, a branch of Samaritan's Purse, to go to Bongolo Hospital in Gabon, Africa. This will be a two year position with the option to stay on longer. David will be working with 2 surgeons who have been practicing there for a while and know what they are doing. My first priority is keeping the kids from being eaten by large snakes (I hate snakes!), but I hope to also be useful in the hospital's midwifery training program, pediatrics, nutrition and any other departments I might be able to fit into.

First we will go to language school in France, then we will head to west Africa. By the time we get there, we will have two-year old twins, Micah and Anica, Maria will be 3 and Noa will be 7.

We will be starting the fundraising process soon and would appreciate your prayers as we plan for this adventure!

Best wishes,
josie skavdahl

3 comments:

  1. This is so amazing! Side note: I ran into your husband at the NECC, he was following my mom's surgeon for the day. I didnt get a chance to say anything, but I figured there weren't too many other Skavdahl's! God bless you both as you serve him in new ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best Wishes on your exciting new journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love from Maine. Harry, Ruby, Aidan, Dee, Nick

    ReplyDelete

Bongolo Hospital Intro Tour

 Below is a link to some photos of Bongolo Hospital. We hope this gives you a small picture of where we are working... https://photos.app.go...